Bicycling in Boston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Department of Conservation & Recreation. For other path locations, consult the Department of Conservation & Recreation Web site. www.mass.gov/dcr.
Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition. The Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition, an advocacy group working to improve conditions for area cyclists, has information on organized rides and sells good bike maps of Boston and the state. Thanks to MassBike's lobbying efforts, the MBTA now allows bicycles on subway and commuter-rail trains during nonpeak hours. 171 Milk St., Suite 33, Downtown, Boston, MA, 02109. 617/542-2453. www.massbike.org.
Dr. Paul Dudley White Bike Path. The Dr. Paul Dudley White Bike Path, about 17 mi long, follows both banks of the Charles River as it winds from Watertown Square to the Museum of Science.
Back Bay Bicycles. Back Bay Bicycles has road bikes for $65 per day and full-suspension mountain bikes for $100 per day (weekly rates are also available). Staff members also lead group mountain-bike rides on nearby trails. 362 Commonwealth Ave., Back Bay, Boston, MA, 02115. 617/247-2336. www.backbaybicycles.com.
Community Bicycle Supply. Community Bicycle Supply rents cycles from April through October. 496 Tremont St., at E. Berkeley St., South End, Boston, MA, 02116. 617/542-8623. www.communitybicycle.com.
Urban AdvenTours. Urban AdvenTours offers a variety of themed excursions on weekends from spring through fall. Most outings cover about 10 to 12 mi. The main tours cost $50 per person, and tickets are available for purchase through the Web site. Tours leave from their Atlantic Avenue headquarters and are offered daily from July through August, and weekends and holidays from mid-April through June and September through October. You bring the adrenaline, they bring the bikes, helmets, and water. 103 Atlantic Ave., Boston, MA, 02110. 617/670-0637. www.urbanadventours.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com