Planning in Boston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Appalachian Mountain Club. This is a helpful first stop for anyone with questions about the great outdoors. Its bookstore has maps and guides about hiking and other active pursuits in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. The club also runs workshops and organized hiking, paddling, biking, and skiing trips throughout New England. Programs fill up fast, so advance reservations are essential. Fees are higher for nonmembers. A one-year individual membership starts at $50; discounted family, youth, and senior memberships are available. The club is open weekdays 9 to 5. 5 Joy St., Beacon Hill, Boston, MA, 02108. 617/523-0655. www.outdoors.org. Park St.
Department of Conservation & Recreation. Most public recreational facilities, including skating rinks and tennis courts, are operated by the Department of Conservation & Recreation. The DCR provides information about recreational activities in its facilities and promotes the conservation of Massachusetts parks and wilderness areas. 251 Causeway St., Suite 600, North End, Boston, MA, 02114. 617/626-1250. www.mass.gov/dcr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149-$199 -- Cambridge, Mass. Hotel near University, 20% Off Boston Marriott Cambridge
- $245-$281 -- Downtown Boston Hotel Through Summer Holiday Inn Express Boston Garden
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $197 & up -- Boston: AAA 4-Diamond Waterfront Hotel, 40% Off — $197 The Westin Boston Waterfront
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off — $179 Sheraton Boston