- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Mt. Greylock State Reservation. The centerpiece of this 10,327-acre reservation, to the south of Williamstown, is Mt. Greylock, at 3,491 feet the highest point in Massachusetts. The reservation has facilities for cycling, fishing, horseback riding, camping, and snowmobiling. Many treks—including a portion of the Appalachian Trail—start from the parking lot at the summit, an 8-mi drive from the mountain's base. The Bascom Lodge (www.bascomlodge.net) and Veterans War Memorial are at the peak. 30 Rockwell Rd., Lanesboro, MA, 01237. 413/499–4262 or 413/499–4263. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtgreylock.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe