When Colonel Ephraim Williams left money to found a free school in what was then known as West Hoosac, he stipulated that the town's name be changed to Williamstown. Williams College opened in 1793, and even today life in this placid town revolves around it. Graceful campus buildings like the Gothic cathedral, built in 1904, line Main Street. Along Spring Street are a handful of upscale shops and lively eateries.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2016
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More