- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Pittsfield State Forest. One of the highlights of this 65-acre forest is its paved ¾-mile Tranquility Trail. There are 31 campsites, and a central restroom facility with showers. Camping season is from May to October. 1041 Cascade St., Pittsfield, MA, 01201. 413/442–8992. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/pitt.htm.
Housatonic River. Flowing south from Pittsfield between the Berkshire Hills and the Taconic Range toward Connecticut, the river eventually empties into Long Island Sound. Pittsfield, MA.
Berkshire Canoe Tours. For guided two-hour canoe tours on the Housatonic River, contact Berkshire Canoe Tours to schedule a tour. Deckers Landing, New Lenox Rd., Lenox, MA, 01201. 413/442–2789. www.berkshirecanoetours.org.
Bousquet Ski Area. With a 750-foot vertical drop, Bousquet has 23 trails if you count merging slopes separately. It has some good beginner and intermediate runs, with a few steeper pitches. There are three double chairlifts, two carpet lifts, and a small snowboarding park. Ski instruction is given twice daily on weekdays and thrice on weekends for children ages five and up. In summer, Bousquet offers waterslides, a large activity pool, a miniature golf course, climbing wall, an adventure park, and a zipline. 101 Dan Fox Dr., off U.S. 7, Pittsfield, MA, 01201. 413/442–8316; 413/442–2436 snow conditions. www.bousquets.com. June–Sept. and Dec.–Mar.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's