- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Pittsfield State Forest. One of the highlights of this 65-acre forest is its paved ¾-mile Tranquility Trail. There are also 13 rustic campsites and 18 with flush toilets. Campground office hours are 8 am-10 pm, and the regular camping season is from May to October. 1041 Cascade St., Pittsfield, MA, 01201. 413/442-8992. www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/pitt.htm.
Housatonic River. Flowing south from Pittsfield between the Berkshire Hills and the Taconic Range toward Connecticut, the river eventually empties into Long Island Sound. Pittsfield, MA.
Berkshire Canoe Tours. For guided canoe tours on the Housatonic River, contact Berkshire Canoe Tours. Deckers Landing, 151 Bullhill Rd., aka New Lenox Road, Lenox, MA, 01201. 413/442-2789. www.berkshirecanoetours.org.
Bousquet Ski Area. Prices and hours may change annually, but most winters here you can ski from 9am to 9pm every day except Sunday, starting at $20 midweek. With a 750-foot vertical drop, Bousquet technically has 23 trails if you count merging slopes separately. Some good beginner and intermediate runs, with a few steeper pitches. There are three double chairlifts, two carpet lifts, and a small snowboard park. Ski instruction is given twice daily on weekdays and thrice on weekends and holidays for children ages 5 and up.
If it's summer instead of ski season, Bousquet offers waterslides, disc golf, a large activity pool, a minigolf course, 32-foot climbing wall, go-karts, a bounce castle, an adventure park, and a zip line. 101 Dan Fox Dr., off U.S. 7 near Pittsfield Airport, Pittsfield, MA, 01201. 413/442-8316; 413/442-2436 snow conditions. www.bousquets.com. Waterslides June-Sept., Skiing Dec.-Mar.
Berkshire West Athletic Club. Across the street from Bousquet Ski, facilities here include four handball courts, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, cardiovascular and weight machines, and indoor and outdoor pools. While the surrounding buildings and lots are very run-down, inside is well-maintained with many machines, yoga classes, a sauna, and the occasional USTA tennis match. 100 Dan Fox Dr., 01201. 413/499-4600. www.berkshirewest.com. Daily 7-7.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Great Barrington Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $216+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Great Barrington Fr $190+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $60/night less
- $120.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Great Barrington — $120 Hotwire
- Explore Great Barrington For Less! Book Fr $155+/Nt — $155 Save with Hotels.com, $75/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Great Barrington Fr $119+/Nt — $119 Expedia