- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A car is indispensable for touring the region. To reach the Eastern Shore from Baltimore or Washington, D.C., travel east on U.S. 50/301 and cross the 4.5-mi Chesapeake Bay Bridge northeast of Annapolis (toll, $2.50, eastbound only). The extraordinary 17.5-mi Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel goes to Tidewater-area towns like Ocean City. The bridge-and-tunnel complex comprises 12 mi of trestled roadway, two tunnels, two bridges, almost 2 mi of causeway, among four man-made islands (toll, $12, in either direction).
Weekend traffic going to the beach can be exceptionally heavy during summertime months. Times to avoid if possible are Friday afternoon and evening as well as Saturday morning, eastbound, and Sunday afternoon and evening, westbound. You can see live webcams of bridge traffic at www.baybridge.com. Your trip over the bridge will be expedited by using EZPass, allowing you to drive in designated lanes (www.ezpass.com).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe