- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In May a weekend-long festival called the Chestertown Tea Party commemorates a little-known Colonial rebellion in 1774 that includes an authentic reenactment of their hurling British tea into the Chester River, in support of a similar event in Boston a year earlier. 410/778-0416. www.chestertownteaparty.com.
In September, Crisfield's National Hard Crab Derby celebrates the Eastern Shore's crabs with a crab race, steamed crabs, and all things crabby, including the crowning of a Miss Crustacean. 410/968-2500. www.crisfieldchamber.com/crab_derby.htm.
Ocean City, Maryland, celebrates the quest for endless summer in mid-September with Sunfest Kite Festival, a four-day blowout with all sorts of entertainment, kite contests, and a crafts show. 800/626-2326. www.kiteloft.com/events.asp.
On or close to the first weekend in November, a small fleet of vessels—from historic working boats and traditional sailing ships to majestic "tall ships"—gathers in the Chester River's broad waters in front of Chestertown for Downrigging Weekend, hosted by the town's resident schooner Sultana . 410/778–5954. www.sultanaprojects.org/downrigging.htm.
The nationally recognized Waterfowl Festival in November in Easton, is comprised of decoy exhibitions, carving demonstrations, duck-calling contests, and retriever exercises during a three-day weekend. 410/822-4567. www.waterfowlfestival.org.
Winterfest of Lights, late November to January 1, is Ocean City's bid to celebrate the allure of Maryland's Atlantic coastline through the year-end holidays. 800/020-2326. www.ococean.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe