- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tangier Island, Virginia
Crab traps stacked 10 feet high, watermen's shanties on the water, and a landscape virtually devoid of modern commercialization characterize this Virginia island fishing community. Visitors love the unique dialect of English spoken here—a British drawl with some island-specific vocabulary, which resulted from historic isolation from the mainland. Ferry service to Tangier operates from Reedfield or Onancock, Virginia, or from Crisfield, Maryland. Note that Tangier Island is "dry"; you may bring your own alcohol for personal use, but you must use discretion.
Stop by the Waterfront Sandwich Shop (16125 Main Ridge Rd. 757/891–2248), where you can also rent golf carts to roam the few narrow roads. You can join a guided tour near the boat dock or simply soak in the timelessness on foot.
Elsewhere in The Eastern Shore
- Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge
- Chesapeake City
- Furnace Town
- North East
- Ocean City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's