Getting Here and Around in Smith Island
Getting Here and Around
The island is readily accessible by ferry from Crisfield. The air-conditioned Smith Island Cruises leave Crisfield's Somers Cove Marina for the 60-minute trip to Smith Island (ferry docks are at Tylerton and Ewell; one ferry runs to both and one runs just to Ewell) at 12:30 pm daily, returning at 4 pm, from Memorial Day to mid-October. Another way to get to Smith Island is via the mail boat, Island Belle. There are two departures daily (12:30 and 5 pm). Two freight boats, Captain Jason I and Captain Jason II, also take passengers to Smith Island. All three boats (including the above-mentioned Island Belle) depart daily at 12:30 pm and return to Crisfield at 5:15 pm, year-round, weather permitting. You can ride back to Smith Island later in the evening; both captains live on the island.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's