- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
All of the land of the Fishing Bay Wildlife Management Area, bordering Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, is along Fishing Bay at the southern end of Dorchester County. Here you can take a pair of "water trails" through some scenic rivers and streams—it's reminiscent of Florida's Everglades. A short canoeing or kayaking trek down one of these water trails—recommended only for experienced paddlers—is an exceptional way to experience a salt marsh and the wildlife that lives in one. Contact the Dorchester County Department of Tourism for more information, as well as for a waterproof map. Cambridge, MD. 410/228–1000. www.tourdorchester.org.
Rent kayaks and bikes at Blackwater Paddle & Pedal Adventures, which also provides guided instruction. 4303 Bucktown Rd., Cambridge, MD, 21613-3751. 410/901-9255. www.blackwaterpaddleandpedal.com.
Nathan of Dorchester. This skipjack replica, commissioned in 1994, cruises the Choptank River from the foot of High Street in Cambridge. In summer the 28-passenger Nathan sets sail on most Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons for two-hour cruises. Long Wharf, 526 Poplar St., Cambridge, MD, 21613-5224. 410/228–7141. www.skipjack-nathan.org..
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe