Fodor's Virginia and Maryland
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Review
One of the world's foremost biomedical research centers, with a sprawling 322-acre campus, the NIH offers tours for the public, including an orientation tour at the NIH Visitor Information Center and one at the National Library of Medicine, that will likely be quite interesting to those interested in medicine and a little dry to everyone else. The visitor center tour discusses how health and medicine has been transformed through discovery—discoveries that have kept the blood supply safe from disease and begun mapping the human genome. There are about 1,500 ongoing clinical trials at this facility at any given time, and tours will take you through the pediatric day unit, which offers a playroom for children and a program for them to connect with pediatric patients across the country via Internet. Then the tour continues to the pediatric oncology lab, where researchers are working to improve methods to help these very children. Although best known for its books and journals—there are about 14 mi worth of them—the National Library of Medicine also houses historical medical references dating from the 11th century. A library tour includes a look at historical documents, the library's databases, and "visible human" anatomical simulator. The library was built during the Cold War, and as guides will explain, the building's roof was designed to collapse in the event of an attack from the Soviet Union, protecting the books kept below ground.
- Address: Visitor Information Center, 45 Center Dr., Bldg. 45 Bethesda, MD 20892 | Map It
- Phone: 301/496–1776
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Call for tour times, library hrs, and information on forms of ID to bring, plus other security measures
- Metro Medical Center.
- Location: Bethesda
- National Library of Medicine, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bldg. 38A, Bethesda, MD, 20894, 301/496–7771
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Read more
General outline of the trip that DW and I took Dec. Read more
I have to attend a wedding in Detroit (in August!) and will stop in Washington for four nights on the way. I'll travel to/from the Washington area by train. On the way back I will probably fly into BWI Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more