The popular translation of the Native American name "Patawomeck" is "they are coming by water." Although today's visitors are likely to drive, it is still possible to view the mighty Potomac River by hiking along the towpath of the C&O Canal and climbing the rocks at Great Falls, which Maryland and Virginia share a view of from opposite banks. Potomac is also known for its elegant estates and houses, as it is one of the wealthiest communities in the United States.
Potomac at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's