- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
East of the Potomac River, Sharpsburg is a small town (the last census counted nearly 700 people) that was settled in the 1740s. Known at one time in its history for industry, it is now famous as the place where the historic Battle of Antietam (aka the Battle of Sharpsburg) took place. The town also hosts a large Memorial Day celebration (said to be the nation's first) and an annual Sheep and Wool Festival.
Sharpsburg at a Glance
Elsewhere in Frederick and Western Maryland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's