Washington Street Historic District
Washington Street Historic District Review
In the mid- to late 19th century, Cumberland's railroad barons built homes in the Washington Street Historic District, which stretches along Washington Street from Wills Creek to Allegany Street and from Greene Street to Fayette Street. The six-block district, on the National Register of Historic Places, features an eclectic mix of Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, and Georgian Revival homes and is a dream come true for architecture lovers.
Of particular interest is the Emmanuel Episcopal Church and Parish Hall. Built in 1849-50 on the site of the former Fort Cumberland, this historic church was a frontier outpost during the French and Indian War. The Gothic Revival church is built of native sandstone and contains three large Tiffany windows. 16 Washington St., 21502.
- Address: Cumberland, MD
- Location: Cumberland