- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tiny Oakland, perched on a mountain plateau at the far western end of the state, is a true escape from the big-city bustle. Its heyday was in the late 1800s, when a number of opulent hotels catered to vacationers brought by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Saunter through the quaint antiques shops that line downtown's recently restored brick paths and you'll feel that you've traveled to another time.
Oakland at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Frederick and Western Maryland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's