- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The famed Appalachian Trail crosses the spine of South Mountain just west of Frederick, from the Potomac River to the Pennsylvania line. Several well-known and scenic viewpoints along Maryland's 40-mi stretch include Annapolis Rocks and Weverton Cliffs. The best access points are Gathland State Park, Washington Monument State Park, and Greenbrier State Park—and they even have parking. Frederick, MD.
For more information, contact the Appalachian Trail Conference. 799 Washington St., Harpers Ferry, WV, 25425. 304/535–6331. www.appalachiantrail.org.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's