- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With roots dating back to the 1700s, Frederick was once known mostly for its American history, museums, and federal-style architecture. But in recent years, the city has undergone a renaissance. Thanks in part to new residents from nearby Washington, D.C., the downtown is now lauded for its thriving arts community, and upscale boutiques and restaurants.
In fact, Frederick has emerged as a dining destination, fueled in part by fresh produce from some of the region's best farms, and a growing selection of local beers and wines. The Frederick Wine Trail, even has a stop at a winery in downtown. There are some 60 restaurants, specialty food shops, cafés, bakeries, and coffee and teahouses within just a few short blocks of one other.
You could spend a day or more meandering the cobblestone streets of the leafy, expansive historic district and admiring the city's famed "clustered" spires. Be sure to browse the antiques stores and assortment of artsy shops.
Frederick at a Glance
- Community Bridge Mural
- The Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center
- Frederick Visitor Center
- Mount Olivet Cemetery
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Frederick and Western Maryland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $349* & up -- Premium Economy to DC from California, One Way Virgin America
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $89-$99 -- Downtown D.C. Hotel near Capitol Hill, Reg. $329 BookIt.com
- $159 -- Maryland Hotel next to Towson University, Save 20% — $159 Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel
- $179 -- D.C.-Area 4-Star Resort incl. July Fourth — $179 Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center