Frederick and Western Maryland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Frederick and Western Maryland
Explore Civil War History: Visit Harpers Ferry, scene of abolitionist John Brown's famous raid; view patriot Barbara Fritchie's home in Frederick; learn about slaves and free persons who helped heal the Civil War wounded; and walk the hallowed Antietam National Battlefield.
Sea and Ski: Swim, boat, and water-ski all summer in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland's largest man-made body of water. Come back in winter to ski or relax by a blazing fire at a lodge.
Bike the Canal: Follow the trail along the old Chesapeake & Ohio Canal towpath and take in the spectacular panoramic views. Bike between Washington, D.C., and Cumberland, stopping for coffee and conversation off the beaten path.
Fall in Love: Snuggle by the fireplace at a Victorian mansion turned B&B. Dine by candlelight at first-class restaurants. Stroll hand-in-hand and window-shop along the cobblestone streets of revitalized Main Streets that date back centuries. Sip vino and enjoy tastings at family-owned wineries and local breweries.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's