- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Founded in the 1700s and tucked among the blooming foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Emmitsburg is a quaint small town known for its Catholic shrines, which draw visitors from all over the world. Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born saint, founded the country's first order of nuns here in the early 1800s. Today the historic downtown has antiques shops, a railroad museum, and well-maintained historic homes. Students from Mount St. Mary's University enliven the town.
Emmitsburg at a Glance
Elsewhere in Frederick and Western Maryland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's