- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Deep Creek Lake
Garrett County's greatest asset, the 3,900-acre Deep Creek Lake, was created in the 1920s as a water source for a hydroelectric plant on the Youghiogheny (pronounced "Yok-a-gainy") River—a favorite among kayakers and white-water rafters. Deep Creek Lake State Park offers public access for fishing, swimming, and boat/kayak launching and picnicking is available in the park's waterfront area (a service charge applies). Area restaurants and motels offer docks so you can sail to your lodging of choice, or use your boat to grab a quick bite.
Deep Creek Lake at a Glance
Elsewhere in Frederick and Western Maryland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's