- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
All Amtrak trains on the northeast corridor between Boston and Washington stop at Baltimore's Penn Station. Maryland Area Rail Commuter (MARC) trains travel between Baltimore's Penn Station and Washington, D.C., Camden Station, and Washington, and BWI Airport and Penn Station. The trip to Washington, D.C., takes about one hour and costs $7; the trip to BWI Airport from Penn Station takes about 20 minutes and costs $4. Trains run several times per hour, weekdays 4:45 am-9:30 pm (note that MARC trains do not run on weekends).
Light rail is an easy, comfortable (if slow) way to reach downtown from the northern and southern suburbs. Stops near downtown include Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Howard Street, and Centre Street near Mount Vernon. The city's cultural center can be reached by the Cathedral Street stop. Light rail extends to Hunt Valley, BWI Airport, and Glen Burnie. The fare is $1.60 (exact change is required); day passes are $3.50.
Amtrak Penn Station. 1515 N. Charles St., Mount Vernon, Baltimore, MD, 21201. 800/523-8720.
Maryland Area Rail Commuter. 800/325-7245 or 410/539-5000. www.mtamaryland.com.
Maryland Transit Administration. 800/325-7245 or 410/539-5000. www.mtamaryland.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe