- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Baltimore
Relive American History: Take a water taxi to see Fort McHenry, the site of a relentless British attack during the war of 1812. The fort never fell and the sight of its flag after the battle inspired the words that later became the national anthem.
Explore a Revitalized Addition to the Inner Harbor: The former industrial zone just east of the tourist-oriented Inner Harbor, now called Harbor East, has become a chic destination with some of the city's best restaurants, shopping, and people-watching.
Visit the Country's Most Inspiring Museum: The American Visionary Art Museum, which highlights artists outside the mainstream, is a glorious ode to the creative impulse, a family-friendly joy to behold both inside and out. In May, be sure to check out the Kinetic Sculpture Race—art on wheels!
Get Wild and Zany at Honfest: For one weekend each June, thousands gussy up to celebrate Honfest in Hampden in the traditional attire of a Baltimore "hon": beehive hairdos and cat's-eye glasses.
Crack 'Em and Eat 'Em like a Baltimorean: Baltimore loves crabs, especially at Bo Brooks in Canton—one of the city's best crab houses—where you can crack into a piping-hot crustacean year-round.
Taste the Country's First Tiramisu: Piedigrotta Bakery, on the edge of historical Little Italy, claims to have invented tiramisu. Try it for yourself—a big wedge is only a couple of bucks.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe