Originally constructed between 1772 and 1780, the State House is the oldest state capitol in continuous legislative use; it's also the only one in which the U.S. Congress has sat (1783–84). General George Washington resigned as commander in chief of the Continental Army here in 1783 and the Treaty of Paris was ratified in 1784, ending the Revolutionary War. Both events took place in the Old Senate Chamber. The Maryland Senate and House hold their sessions in two other
chambers in the building. Also on the grounds is the oldest public building in Maryland, the tiny redbrick treasury, built in 1735. Visit the Office of Interpretation on the 1st floor to pick up self-guided tour information. You must have a photo ID to enter the State House.
In the State House Square is the Thurgood Marshall Memorial, comprising an 8-ft statue of Thurgood Marshall as a young lawyer, benches with images of students for whom he fought for integration, and plaques commemorating his achievements. Born in Baltimore, Marshall (1908–93) was the first African-American Supreme Court Justice and one of the 20th century's foremost leaders in the struggle for equal rights under the law. He won the decision in 1954's Brown v. Board of Education, in which the Court overturned the doctrine of "separate but equal." Marshall was appointed as U.S. Solicitor General in 1965 and to the Supreme Court in 1967 by President Lyndon B. Johnson.