- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. John's College
St. John's College Review
The Annapolis campus of St. John's, the third-oldest college in the country (after Harvard and William and Mary), once held the last Liberty Tree, under which the Sons of Liberty convened to hear patriots plan the Revolution. Damaged in a 1999 hurricane, the 400-year-old tree was removed; its progeny stands to the left of McDowell Hall. St. John's adheres to a Great Books program, and all students follow the same four-year, liberal-arts curriculum, which includes philosophy, mathematics, music, science, Greek, and French. Students are immersed in the classics, through small classes conducted as discussions rather than lectures. Start a visit here by climbing the gradual slope of the long, brick-paved path to the cupola of McDowell Hall.
Down King George Street toward the water is the Carroll-Barrister House, now the college admissions office. Once home to Charles Carroll (not the signer of the Declaration but his cousin), the house was built in 1722 at Main and Conduit streets and moved onto campus in 1955.
Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Art Gallery. The Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Art Gallery, on the east side of Mellon Hall, presents world-class exhibits and special programs that relate to the fine arts. 21403. 410/626-2556.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Annapolis Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Annapolis this May Fr $131+/Nt Expedia
- $216.00 & up : 4-star hotels in Annapolis — $216 Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Annapolis this May Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Expedia
- $128.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Annapolis — $128 Hotwire
The group to which I belong visited the relatively new London Town museum. Read more
After finding out that the Walters Art Museum ( http://thewalters.org/ ) in Baltimore Md. was hosting a one-day exhibit of my county's high school art students, and since my next door neighbor's work is Read more
Wondering what's the best/reasonably priced way to get from Dulles to hotel in Baltimore for 3 (jet-lagged) adults and a small child. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more