Annapolis and Southern Maryland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Annapolis and Southern Maryland
Experience Colonial History: The U.S. Congress met in the Maryland State House from 1783 to 1784, and two significant events occurred during that time: General George Washington resigned as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army and the Treaty of Paris was ratified.
Salute the Navy at Annapolis: The U.S. Naval Academy is the most important site in town. Don't miss its centerpiece, the bright copper-clad dome of the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel, beneath which lies the crypt of the Revolutionary War naval officer John Paul Jones.
Return to the Golden Age of the Railroad: At the Chesapeake Bay Railway Museum, housed in the railroad's 1898 track-side terminus, check out a glass-enclosed model of the town of Chesapeake Beach and a gleaming, black Ford Model T that once carried guests from the station to their hotels.
Visit a 17th-Century British Settlement: At Historic St. Mary's, the fourth permanent settlement in British North America and eventually the first (albeit short-lived) capital of Maryland, you can view ongoing restoration work in this much smaller, and less-refined, version of Williamsburg, Virginia.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Annapolis Fr $118+/Nt Travelocity
- $99.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Annapolis Hotwire
- Hilton Garden Inn Annapolis Biggest Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $460 Travelocity
- Look no Further! Annapolis Hotels Fr $114+/Nt — $114 Travelocity
- Annapolis Savings! Book at Residence Inn Annapolis Fr $214+/Nt — $214 Expedia