Rangeley Lakes Trails Center. Rangeley Lakes Trails Center rents cross-country skis and snowshoes and has about 25 miles of groomed trails surrounding Saddleback Mountain. The snack bar is open in the winter, and you can hike, mountain bike, and run on the trails in warmer weather. 524 Saddleback Mountain Rd., Dallas, ME, 04970. 207/864-4309. www.xcskirangeley.com.
Saddleback Maine. A family atmosphere prevails at Saddleback Maine, where the quiet, lack of crowds, and spectacularly wide valley views draw return visitors. The 66 trails and glades, accessed by five lifts, are divided among 33% novice, 30% intermediate, and 37% advanced. A fieldstone fireplace anchors the post-and-beam base lodge. You can also find a day-care center, ski school, rental and retail shop, and trailside condominium lodging on-site. Hiking (the Appalachian Trail crosses Saddleback's summit ridge), mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, fly-fishing, moose tours, and birding are big draws in warm weather, as are music concerts, which continue in winter. On the second weekend in August, the annual Saddleback Mountain Bluegrass Festival draws thousands. 976 Saddleback Mountain Rd., follow signs from Rte. 4, Dallas, ME, 04970. 207/864-5671; 866/918-2225; 207/864-5441; 207/864-5671 reservations. www.saddlebackmaine.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $119 & up -- Maine Historic Coastal Inn near Outlet, $60 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $519 & up -- 7-Nt. Canada & New England Cruise, Save $180 Norwegian Cruise Line