Bethel is pure New England, a town with white clapboard houses, white-steeple churches, and a mountain vista at the end of every street. In winter, this is ski country: Sunday River ski area in Newry is only a few miles north. Bethel WinterFest is usually held in February. On the third weekend in July, Mollyockett Days, which includes a parade, fireworks, and frog-jumping contest, honors a Pequawket Indian renowned for her medicinal cures in the early days of white settlement.
Bethel at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's