Sports and the Outdoors
Quoddy Head State Park. The easternmost point of land in the United States is marked by candy-striped West Quoddy Head Light. In 1806 President Thomas Jefferson signed an order authorizing construction of a lighthouse on this site. You can't climb the tower, but the former light keeper's house has a museum with a video showing the interior. The museum also has displays on Lubec's maritime past and the region's marine life. A gallery displays works by artists who live or summer in the area. A mystical 2-mi path along the cliffs here, one of five trails, yields magnificent views of Canada's cliff-clad Grand Manan Island. Whales can often be sighted offshore. The 540-acre park has a picnic area. 973 S. Lubec Rd., off Rte. 189, Lubec, ME, 04652. 207/733-0911. www.parksandlands.com. $3. Daily, 9-sunset.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Bar Harbor Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- $39.95 & up : Compact rentals in Bar Harbor Hotwire
- $38.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bar Harbor — $39 Hotwire
- $44.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bar Harbor — $45 Hotwire