- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Jonesport and Beals Island
The birding is superb around Jonesport and Beals Island, a pair of fishing communities joined by a bridge over Moosabec Reach. A handful of stately homes ring Jonesport's Sawyer Square, where Sawyer Memorial Congregational Church's exquisite stained-glass windows are illuminated at night. But the towns are less geared to travelers than those on the Schoodic Peninsula. Lobster traps are still piled in the yards, and lobster-boat races near Moosabec Reach are the highlight of the community's annual Independence Day celebration. Right next to Beals Island, Great Wass Island, connected to it by a bridge, is home to a namesake preserve with rugged trails to the coast.
Jonesport and Beals Island at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's