- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Connected by a granite causeway to the mainland at Pleasant Point Reservation, Eastport has wonderful views of the nearby islands, and you can sometimes spot whales from the waterfront because the harbor is so deep. Known for its diverse architecture, the island city was one of the nation's busiest seaports in the early 1800s. In the late 19th century 14 sardine canneries operated here. The industry's decline in the 20th century left the city economically depressed, but now the town has set its sights on salmon, shipping, tourism, and the arts—performing and visual arts are thriving here. The weekend after Labor Day the Maine Salmon Festival attracts large crowds with boat tours of salmon pens, an arts and crafts show, a historic-home walking tour, a wine tasting, and a dinner featuring the local delicacy and live music. On the same weekend the Eastport Pirate Festival brings folks out in pirate attire for a ship race, parade, and other events, including a children's breakfast and schooner ride with pirates.
Get downtown early to secure a viewing spot for Maine's largest July 4th parade. Canadian bagpipe bands make this an event not to be missed. The day culminates with fireworks over the bay. On the weekend of the second Sunday in August, locals celebrate Sipayik Indian Days at the Pleasant Point Reservation. This festival of Passamaquoddy culture includes canoe races, dancing, drumming, children's games, fireworks, and traditional dancing.
Elsewhere in Way Down East
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $119 & up -- Maine Historic Coastal Inn near Outlet, $60 Off York Harbor Inn
- $519 & up -- 7-Nt. Canada & New England Cruise, Save $180 Norwegian Cruise Line