Museums of Old York
Museums of Old York Review
Nine historic 18th- and 19th-century buildings, clustered on York Street and along Lindsay Road and the York River, highlight York's rich history starting in early Colonial times. The Old York Gaol (1719) was once the King's Prison for the Province of Maine; inside are dungeons, cells, and the jailer's quarters. The many period rooms in the Emerson-Wilcox House—the main part was built in 1742—display items from daily life here in centuries past, including furniture from as early as the 1600s and an impressive ceramic dishware collection. The 1731 Elizabeth Perkins House reflects the Victorian style of its last occupants, the prominent Perkins family. You can buy tickets at the Parsons Education Center, which has changing exhibits, or at the Gaol. A ticket for all the buildings (many are self-guided) is good for the season.
George Marshall Store Gallery. Storefront windows and bead board trim at the George Marshall Store Gallery, built in 1867, pay homage to its past as a general store, but the focus here is on the present. Changing exhibits of works by prominent and up-and-coming regional artists change every five weeks from April through December. 140 Lindsay Road, 03909. 207/351–1083. www.georgemarshallstoregallery.com. Early June–Columbus Day weekend, Tues.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. 1–5; mid-Oct.-early June, Wed.–Sun. but hours vary.
- Address: Parsons Education Center, 6 Lindsay Rd., York Village, ME 03909
- Phone: 207/363–4974
- Cost: All buildings $12 (valid for the season); $6 for one building
- Hours: Early June–Sat. before Columbus Day, most buildings Mon.–Sat. 9:30–4
- Website: www.oldyork.org
- Location: York Village
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Blithely ignoring the fact that we were driving to Virginia next day, my wife and I set out on a five hour (RT) road trip from Brookline, MA, to Brunswick, ME, to see an exhibit of Maurice Prendergast's Read more
and then some!
I am just back from my wonderful two weeks in New England, a destination that has become a regular for me in late summer for the past three years. It’s hard to imagine a lovelier place Read more
Hi, so my siblings and are looking to send out parents on a weekend getaway as their present for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
Portland, Maine has quietly launched one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country. ... Read more
From bustling waterfronts and dinners of delectable crustaceans to awe-inspiring hikes and strolls through... Read more
It's a good bet that when summer reaches sticky hot temps, you start hankering for a toes-in-the-sand... Read more