Built in 1718, the waterfront home was remodeled in the 1760s by Jonathan Sayward, a local merchant who had prospered in the West Indies trade. By 1860 his descendants had opened the house to the public to share the story of their Colonial ancestors. The house, accessible only by guided tour, reveals the decor of a prosperous New England family at the outset of the Revolutionary War. The parlor—considered one of the country's best preserved Colonial interiors, with a
tall clock and mahogany Chippendale-style chairs—looks pretty much as it did when Sayward lived here.