Moosehead Historical Society & Museums
Moosehead Historical Society & Museums Review
Guides in period costume lead tours of the Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House, a late-19th-century Victorian mansion filled with period antiques, most original to the home. The Lumberman's Museum, about the region's logging history, is in the carriage house, while the barn next door houses a re-creation of a one-room schoolhouse and a general-store exhibit. You can savor lunch and the architecture of these meticulously maintained buildings from the art-accented Sunken Garden. A mile away in downtown Greenville, the former Universalist Church houses the Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum. The former has a fine exhibit of Native American artifacts from the Moosehead Lake region, dating from 9,000 BC to the 1700s, while the latter highlights the impact of aviation on the area, from early bush pilots to Greenville's annual International Seaplane Fly-in.
- Address: 444 Pritham Ave., Greenville Junction, ME, 04442 | Map It
- Phone: 207/695–2909
- Cost: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House $5, other museums free
- Hours: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House: mid-June–mid-Oct., Wed.–Fri. 1–4; Lumberman's Museum: Tues.–Fri. 9–4; Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum: mid-June–mid-Oct., Thurs.–Sun. 10–4.
- Website: www.mooseheadhistory.org
- Location: Greenville
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's