Moosehead Historical Society & Museums
Moosehead Historical Society & Museums Review
At its main property, the historical society leads guided tours of the Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House, a late-19th-century Victorian mansion filled with period antiques, most original to the home. Special exhibits and displays change annually. The Lumberman's Museum, about the region's logging history, is in the carriage house. Several blocks away the former Universalist Church in downtown Greenville is home to the society's Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum. The former has a fine exhibit of Native American artifacts from the Moosehead Lake region, dating from 9,000 BC to the 1700s, as well as changing exhibits. The latter highlights the impact of aviation on the area, from the early bush pilots to Greenville's annual International Seaplane Fly-in.
- Address: 444 Pritham Ave. (Rte. 15), Greenville, ME 04442 | Map It
- Phone: 207/695-2909
- Cost: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House $5, other museums free
- Hours: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House mid-June--mid-Oct., Wed.--Fri. 1--4; Lumberman's Museum Tues.--Fri. 9--4; Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum mid-June--mid-Oct., Thurs.--Sat. 10--4; museums also open by appointment.
- Website: www.mooseheadhistory.org
- Location: Greenville
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $119 & up -- Maine Historic Coastal Inn near Outlet, $60 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $519 & up -- 7-Nt. Canada & New England Cruise, Save $180 Norwegian Cruise Line
Way too short, needless to say, but I think we got a lot in and saw some amazing locations, met very friendly people and ate some scrumptious food!
We were visiting family in Lynn, MA and drove north o Read more
A quick overview of where we ate during out 10 days on MDI
Morninglory Bakery Cafe is our favorite, we prefer quick, smallish breakfasts. Read more
I want to go on a 5 day vacation in the first week of July. Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more