Moosehead Historical Society & Museums
Moosehead Historical Society & Museums Review
At its main property, the historical society leads guided tours of the Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House, a late-19th-century Victorian mansion filled with period antiques, most original to the home. Special exhibits and displays change annually. The Lumberman's Museum, about the region's logging history, is in the carriage house. Several blocks away the former Universalist Church in downtown Greenville is home to the society's Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum. The former has a fine exhibit of Native American artifacts from the Moosehead Lake region, dating from 9,000 BC to the 1700s, as well as changing exhibits. The latter highlights the impact of aviation on the area, from the early bush pilots to Greenville's annual International Seaplane Fly-in.
- Address: 444 Pritham Ave. (Rte. 15), Greenville, ME 04442 | Map It
- Phone: 207/695–2909
- Cost: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House $5, other museums free
- Hours: Eveleth-Crafts-Sheridan House mid-June–mid-Oct., Wed.–Fri. 1–4; Lumberman's Museum Tues.–Fri. 9–4; Center for Moosehead History and Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum mid-June–mid-Oct., Thurs.–Sat. 10–4; museums also open by appointment.
- Website: www.mooseheadhistory.org
- Location: Greenville
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Blithely ignoring the fact that we were driving to Virginia next day, my wife and I set out on a five hour (RT) road trip from Brookline, MA, to Brunswick, ME, to see an exhibit of Maurice Prendergast's Read more
and then some!
I am just back from my wonderful two weeks in New England, a destination that has become a regular for me in late summer for the past three years. It’s hard to imagine a lovelier place Read more
Hi, so my siblings and are looking to send out parents on a weekend getaway as their present for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
Portland, Maine has quietly launched one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country.... Read more
From bustling waterfronts and dinners of delectable crustaceans to awe-inspiring hikes and strolls through... Read more
It's a good bet that when summer reaches sticky hot temps, you start hankering for a toes-in-the-sand... Read more