The North Woods Travel Guide
Plan Your The North Woods Vacation
Moosehead Lake, the four-season resort town of Greenville, Baxter State Park, and the Allagash Wilderness Waterway are dispersed within Maine's remote North Woods. This vast area in the north-central section of the state is best experienced by canoe or raft; via hiking, snowshoe, cross-country skiing, or snowmobile; or on a fishing trip. Maine's largest lake, Moosehead supplies more in the way of rustic camps, guides, and outfitters than any other northern locale. Its 400-plus miles of shorefront, three-quarters of which is owned by lumber companies or the state, are virtually uninhabited.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in The North Woods
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $242 & up -- Maine: 4-Star Portland Waterfront Hotel The Westin Portland Harborview
- $339 & up -- Canada & New England Cruises on Carnival Carnival Cruise Lines
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We decided to celebrate the start of summer with a road trip to Coastal Maine from our home in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Posts... Read more
My husband and I - youthful 60-somethings - just returned from a summer trip to New England, which included two and a half days in Portla... Read more