- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The second-largest metropolitan area in the state (Portland being the largest; Lewiston has a larger population for the city itself), Bangor is about 20 miles from the coast and is the unofficial capital of northern Maine. Back in the 19th century the "Queen City's" most important product and export was lumber from the state's vast North Woods. Now, because of its airport, Bangor has become a gateway to Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park. Along the revitalized waterfront, the American Folk Festival draws big crowds on the last weekend in August, and an outdoor stage attracts top bands and musicians throughout the summer.
Bangor at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Mid-Coast Region
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's