- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Gilbert's Chowder House
Gilbert's Chowder House Review
This is the real deal, as quintessential as Maine dining can be. Clam rakes and nautical charts hang from the walls of this unpretentious waterfront diner. The flavors are from the depths of the North Atlantic, prepared and presented simply: fish, clam, and seafood chowders (corn, too); fried shrimp; haddock; clam strips; and extraordinary clam cakes. A chalkboard of daily specials often features fish and chips and various entrée and chowder combinations. Don't miss out on the lobster roll—a toasted hot-dog bun bursting with claw and tail meat lightly dressed with mayo but otherwise unadulterated. It's classic Maine, fuss-free and presented on a paper plate.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
Arriving about midight and trains won't be running. Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry ... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more