Bicycling in Portland
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bicycle Coalition of Maine. For state bike trail maps, club and tour listings, or hints on safety, contact the Bicycle Coalition of Maine. 341 Water St., 10, Augusta, ME, 04332-5275. 207/623–4511. www.bikemaine.org.
Cycle Mania. Rent bikes downtown at Cycle Mania. The rental rate is only $25 and includes a helmet and lock. 59 Federal St., Portland, ME, 04101. 207/774–2933. www.cyclemania1.com.
Gorham Bike and Ski. You can rent several types of bikes, including hybrid, tandem, and comfort bikes, starting at $25 per day. 693 Congress St., Portland, ME, 04102. 207/773–1700. www.gorhambike.com.
Portland Trails. For local biking information, contact Portland Trails. They can tell you about designated paved routes that wind along the water, through parks, and beyond. For a map, call or get one online. 305 Commercial St., Portland, ME, 04101. 207/775–2411. www.trails.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe