Top Reasons to Go
Perfection on a Bun: It's not a Maine vacation without sampling the "lobster roll," lobster with a touch of mayo nestled in a buttery grilled New England-style hot-dog bun (opens on top).
Boating: The coastline of Maine was made for boaters. Whether it's your own boat, a friend's, or a charter, make sure you get out on the water.
Wild Maine Blueberries: They may be tiny, but the wild blueberries pack a flavorful punch in season (late July to early September).
Cadillac Mountain: Drive the winding 3½-mile road to the 1,530-foot summit in Acadia National Park for the sunrise.
Perfect Souvenir: Buy a watercolor, hand-painted pottery, or handcrafted jewelry—artists and craftspeople abound.
Ice Cream: Summer in Maine means ice cream. Stop at one of the many stands selling Maine-made Gifford's, or savor homemade at a storefront ice cream parlor: you can't go wrong.Updated: 08-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's