Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce (888/540-9990. www.barharborinfo.com.)
Bar Harbor Information Center. The Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce operates this information center just up from the water at the corner of Cottage and Main streets. 2 Cottage St., Bar Harbor, ME, 04609. Open early May-late Oct.
Mount Desert Chamber of Commerce. 18 Harbor Dr., Northeast Harbor, ME, 04662. 207/276-5040. www.mountdesertchamber.org.
Mt. Desert Island Information Center at Thompson Island. Sponsored by several Mt. Desert Island chambers as well as Acadia National Park, this information center is along Route 3 just before it crosses to Mt. Desert Island. The center is loaded with pamphlets about island tours, restaurants, inns, and attractions, including Acadia National Park. You can buy park passes here, and the staff includes a park ranger. However, if visiting the park for the first time, or it's been awhile, you should also stop at the park's expansive Hulls Cove Visitor Center off Route 3, which shows a free 15-minute movie. 1319 Bar Harbor Rd. (Rte. 3), Trenton, ME, 04605. 207/288-3411. Daily 8-5 mid-May-mid-June, 8-6 late June-Aug., 8-5:30 Sept.-mid-Oct.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Wonder View Inn & Suites on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $134+/Nt Expedia
- $42.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Bar Harbor Hotwire
- $48.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bar Harbor — $49 Hotwire