- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A cluster of plantation homes all within a half-hour drive; a lovely, walkable historic district; renowned antiques shopping; and a wealth of comfortable B&Bs draw visitors and locals from New Orleans to overnight stays in St. Francisville. The town is a two-hour drive from New Orleans, so it's also possible to make this a day trip.
St. Francisville's historic district, particularly along Royal Street, is dotted with markers identifying basic histories of various structures, most of them dating to the late 18th or early 19th century. The region's Anglo-Protestant edge, in contrast to the staunchly French-Catholic tenor of the River Road plantations, is evident in the prominent Grace Episcopal Church, sitting atop a hill in the center of town and surrounded by a peaceful, Spanish moss-shaded cemetery. The smaller (though older) Catholic cemetery is directly across a small fence from the Episcopal complex.
St. Francisville at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe