- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The town of New Iberia is the hub of lower Cajun Country, second only to Lafayette as an arts-and-culture draw. The grand homes of sugarcane planters dominate the residential section of Main Street, just off Bayou Teche, pointing to a glorious past at the center of a booming sugar industry. Park downtown or stay in one of the numerous B&Bs and you can easily walk to the bayou, restaurants, art galleries, and shops in the historic business district. Downtown stretches eight blocks east and west on Main Street (Route 182) from the intersection of Center Street (Route 14). The Shadows-on-the-Teche plantation home is at this intersection and is a good place to park.
New Iberia at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from New Orleans
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's