Side Trips from New Orleans Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Jam to Cajun and zydeco music: Ensembles of fiddles, accordions, and guitars produce eminently danceable folk music, with songs sung in a mélange of English and Cajun French. Zydeco, closely related to Cajun music, adds washboard and drums to the mix and has more of a blues-rock feel.
Marvel at plantation homes: These stately homes will have you reenacting your favorite scenes from Gone with the Wind. Some of them now stand in the shadow of massive chemical plants and oil refineries that now operate on the Mississippi River; some plantation ruins appear in the middle of cow fields or alongside bayous, further testifying to the clash between old and new.
Take a swamp tour: Ride through the beautiful wetlands surrounding New Orleans and Baton Rouge. You'll see alligators, snakes, nutria, and more in their natural habitat.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's