- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Uptown and the Carrollton-Riverbend are great walkable neighborhoods. The St. Charles streetcar is a somewhat reliable and picturesque mode of transportation running approximately every 20 minutes 24 hours a day, all the way from Canal Street at the edge of the French Quarter to South Claiborne Avenue. It stops at all main intersections across St. Charles Avenue, leaving you within walking distance of Audubon Park and Zoo. Expect the entire ride, from Canal Street to the Carrollton-Riverbend, to take about an hour (considerably more during rush hour or holidays). The No. 11 bus runs the length of Magazine Street up to Audubon Park from Canal Street. A bit more reliable, the bus system runs every 20 minutes, making stops at five major intersections. The last bus departs from Audubon Park at 12:40 am on weekdays and at 2:05 am on weekends. The fare is $1.25 for both the streetcar and the bus. Take a taxi when visiting the area late at night as public transit comes less frequently (about every 30 minutes).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's