- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Locals describe the Riverbend area as the curve the St. Charles streetcar makes when it turns onto S. Carrolton Avenue. Much of the area is also referred to as Carrollton. Before becoming part of New Orleans in 1874, the area was a resort town, providing a relaxing getaway with riverfront views. Now the area is mostly composed of smaller one- and two-story family homes, shady oak-lined streets, and plenty of small restaurants and cafés. With the success of local events, such as the annual Oak Street Po-Boy Festival in November (www.poboyfest.com), the retail strip on Oak Street has blossomed with shops, restaurants, and popular bars such as the Maple Leaf, where the Rebirth Brass Band plays every Tuesday night. Nearby Maple Street is a great shopping destination in its own right, attracting the college crowd with an array of sports bars and cafés.
Carrollton-Riverbend at a Glance
Elsewhere in Uptown and Carrollton-Riverbend
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe