- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
A local sales tax of 9% applies to all goods and services purchased in Orleans Parish, including food. Taxes outside Orleans Parish vary and are slightly lower.
Louisiana is the only state that grants a sales-tax rebate to shoppers from other countries who are in the country for no more than 90 days. Look for shops, restaurants, and hotels that display the distinctive tax-free sign and ask for a voucher for the 9% sales tax tacked on to the price of many products and services. Present the vouchers with your plane ticket and passport at the tax rebate office at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, near the American Airlines ticket counter, and receive up to $500 in cash back. If the amount redeemable is more than $500, a check for the difference will be mailed to your home address. Call the airport refund office for complete information.
Airport Refund Office (504/467-0723. www.louisianataxfree.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 & up -- New Orleans 4-Star Hotel on Bourbon Street BookIt.com
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45% Expedia
- $82 -- 4-Star New Orleans Hotel near French Quarter — $82 Hotwire.com