- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
By air: Most major and a few regional airlines serve Louis Armstrong International Airport (504/464-0831), 15 miles east of downtown New Orleans. A taxi from the airport to the French Quarter costs a flat rate of $33 for two people; for more than two passengers the fixed rate is $14 per person. Shared-ride shuttles to hotels are available for about $20 per person. If you're traveling light and have a lot of extra time, you can take Jefferson Transit's airport bus, which runs between the main terminal entrance and the Central Business District (CBD). Fare is $2.
By car: Interstate 10 is the major thoroughfare into and out of New Orleans and can be used to reach downtown from the airport. Lanes can get backed up during morning and evening rush hours; plan accordingly.
By train: Three Amtrak lines serve New Orleans: the City of New Orleans from Chicago; the Sunset Limited service between New Orleans and Los Angeles; and the Crescent, which connects New Orleans and New York by way of Atlanta. For tickets and schedules, call 800/872-7245 or visit www.amtrak.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe