- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Orleans 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- on the St. Charles streetcar line and parade route
- hip vibe
- excellent service
- on-site restaurant and bar
- hallways can be cramped
- you're a 15-minute walk from the French Quarter
- some rooms are tiny, with small windows
- not a traditional New Orleans stay
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Modern Review
One of the most idiosyncratic and genuinely charming hotels in the city, the chic Hotel Modern on Lee Circle delivers a bit of attitude along with its eclectic selection of rooms. You won't find a check-in desk here: instead, you're greeted by Scarlet the macaw and given a drink as you're welcomed into an art-filled, salon-like space. The slightly curved building delivers rooms of all shapes and sizes, from postage stamp to spacious, but all are comfortable and done up in an mix of modern and antiques. A stay here means you don't have to leave to experience a party: its cocktail bar hosts live burlesque performances and international music, and the excellent restaurant serves its Vietnamese-French dishes in an outdoor courtyard.
- Address: 936 St. Charles Ave., Warehouse District, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Phone: 504/962–0900; 800/684–9525
- Location: Warehouse District
- 135 rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Back from our first time to NOLA and despite cold weather, had a great time. Read more
This year we decided to visit New Orleans. Read more
Flying into Savannah for 4 days, staying at the Gastonian BnB, then to Hilton Head for 4 days.... we are renting a car upon arrival at Savannah........ and driving (three nights to get there) to New Orleans Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Mardi Gras like a New Orleans local this year. ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more