- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park
New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park Review
In 1987, the U.S. Congress declared jazz a "national American Treasure," and in the following years, the New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park was created to preserve and display that treasure. The park offers free performances and educational events in three locations around the French Quarter: the Vistor Center, Perseverance Hall in Louis Armstrong Park, and the newly renovated third floor of the Old U.S. Mint, which also houses the state's jazz collection. Four of the park's rangers are also working musicians, including local favorite Bruce "Sunpie" Barnes; don't miss the chance to catch their lively and informative demonstrations exploring the full range of Louisiana's musical heritage. Saturday mornings at 11, kids can sit in and jam with master musicians at Perseverance Hall. Call for event times and locations.
- Address: Visitor Center, 916 N. Peters St., French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70116
- Phone: 504/589–4841
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Visitor Center Tues.–Sun. 9–5; Old U.S. Mint Tues.–Sun. 10–4; Perseverance Hall in Louis Armstrong Park Sat. 9–5
- Website: www.nps.gov/jazz
- Location: French Quarter
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary in NOLA the first week in February, first time there for both of us.
I've been having fun reading trip reports and while we don't usually make an exac Read more
· News & Features
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles, ... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familia... Read more