- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Orleans 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 Review
Just one block from the French Quarter, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, founded in the late 1700s, is the oldest and most famous of New Orleans's cities of the dead. Its stately rows of crypts are home to many of the city's most legendary figures, including Homer Plessy of the Plessy vs. Ferguson 1896 U.S. Supreme Court decision establishing the separate but equal "Jim Crow" laws, and voodoo queen Marie Laveau, whose grave is still a choice destination among the spiritual, the superstitious, and the curious. The Basin Street location of this cemetery is near a downtown housing project, so visitors are advised to exercise great caution when exploring this site. The safest way to visit is to join one of the many group tours that come through each day. The nonprofit group Save Our Cemeteries (504/525–3377) gives guided tours Fridays and Saturdays at 10 am and 1 pm and Sundays at 10 am leaving from the Basin Street Station Visitors Center at 501 Basin Street.
- Address: 499 Basin St., bounded by Basin, Conti, Tremé, and St. Louis Sts. Tremé, New Orleans, LA 70112
- Hours: Mon.–Sat. 9–3, Sun. 9–noon
- Location: Tremé
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Back from our first time to NOLA and despite cold weather, had a great time. Read more
This year we decided to visit New Orleans. Read more
Flying into Savannah for 4 days, staying at the Gastonian BnB, then to Hilton Head for 4 days.... we are renting a car upon arrival at Savannah........ and driving (three nights to get there) to New Orleans Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Mardi Gras like a New Orleans local this year. ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more